Thursday 24 May 2018

Anglian 3L 2m Transverter from G4DDK - Part 2


Well blow me I went to align the TX chain on the Anglian and low and behold no output, this turned out to be IC7 being grounded once this was resolved the TX chain worked as expected giving out 20dBm for 0dBm of drive.

I've had all manner of issues with this Anglian 99% caused by the builder.   I've come to the conclusion that solder paste though easy to use can cause issues if a little too much is used.   I never had this issue with the Iceni however did spend more time cleaning the board and that seems to have paid dividends with the Iceni, so mental note to self don't skimp on making sure any solder paste residue is removed.

I also had a replacement QH40A heater from Kuhne arrive which I duly fitted and low and behold the exact same issue in that as the heater heats up the frequency slowly drifts up to the correct frequency and then suddenly drop by around 500Hz and then slow drifts back up again before repeating.   I may ask Sam if he has another crystal I could buy just to experiment with however as I have a GPSDO there is no real need, even without the heater after a 10 minute warm up period the unit only drifts by a few cycles.

Sam also does an 8W Class AB amplifier which has good linearity when limited to 5W PEP for the Anglian which is simple to build.  The unit draws around 1.5A with a supply voltage of 12.8V.

Sadly I omitted to take any photographs of the PA but you can almost see the unit in the pictures of the completed transverter below.

The last thing to do is plug it all in and test the output from the PA doesn't exceed 5W PEP.

Front Panel
Rear Panel
The inside.





No comments:

Post a Comment