Wednesday 18 July 2018

2m Antenna Upgrade.

I current have a single 9 Ele LFA from G0KSC and though I have no complaints regarding the antenna I'm now at a stage where the only place I can make a sensible improvement in my 2m setup is to replace the antenna.  

I would have liked, probably like most amateurs, to have more the space to put in an array of four 9 element antennas however this isn't practical on my property.  

Now I would like to give EME ago at some point but I don't have elevation available so this put me in a quandary how to improve the system why still allowing myself a little bit of freedom to still carry out a few EME and Meteor Scatter communications when conditions allowed but also give me a better score in the RSGB 2m UKAC as well as general tropo, E's etc QSO's.

I had a chat with few local amateurs I discovered one of them M1DNJ has a similar setup to myself but has a better antenna and mast setup after numerous discussions with David I decided I go with a 9 Element G4CQM design made by Powabeam antennas a CQM9C4 as the performance looked to be about the same as the LFA but with the bonus it's lighter in weight so would make lifting on the mast much easier to accomplish as I don't have a tilt over.   I decided to go with a of two stacked Yagi's.

Richard at Powabeam has published the specifications for a single Yagi as well as a quad array but I couldn't find the specifications for a stack of two so decided to run the simulations myself.  I'm not going to go through all the figures and configuration that can be deduced from the Powabeam website and the images below.

4nec2 - 3D - 2 x CQM9C4

Total Field - 2 Stacked CQM9C4
Horizontal Plane - 2 Stacked CQM9C4

Verical Plane - 2 Stacked CQM9C4

TANT - CQM9C4 - 2 x Stacked Array.





No comments:

Post a Comment