Friday 1 March 2019

Kuhne Electronics IC7300 IF Transverter Mod Board - Update 2

I original posted I had issues with the Kuhne IC7300 IF interface and had removed the modification, I now believe the issue was partially the interface and board and partially a user issue.

I bought a new interface board and fitted it along with the additional 47ohm resistor that is meant to resolve the TX oscillation issues and so far no funnies have been seen.

The issues I originally reported with the RX side of things were all due to my lack of understanding than to do the interface board.  

The main issue was the Anglian 3L transverter gives about 21dB gain this is such a high amount of gain it reduced the dynamic range considerably which though it made the receiver very hot it also picked up all the local RF noise was causing me a headache.

What I've since realised is I should have added some attenuation to the RX path before the 7300 in fact I've added just enough to give me a noise figure or around 2dB which is in line with the quoted specification for the Anglian this results in almost no loss in dynamic range.

The only problem I found was having such a hot receiver was I need to pay a lot more attention to local generated RF noise than I had previously and after an afternoon of slowly switching all the electronics off the house and a huge amount of ferrite I managed to reduce the noise and birdies by 10dB.

So I need to apologise to Kuhne for writing such a horrid review of the IC7300 IF interface when the reality is most of the issues were down to me being a draft bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment