Tuesday 27 March 2018

New Antenna Mast from MM0CUG

My original antenna mast consisted of a 21 foot scaffold pole attached the side of the bungalow via T&K brackets however over winter I noticed that this was causing some damage to the brickwork and so I decided to replace it with a free standing mast from MM0CUG in Aberdeen.

The new mast is 8.5 metres tall however 1 metre is buried in a large block of concrete so 7.5 metres in total and is approximately 1 metre taller than the original scaffold pole.   It's a telescope design raised and lowered by a heavy duty winch triggered by a remote control, so no going outside in bad weather to raise and lower it.

The winch is powered by a battery which is a kept topped up using a 2.5W solar panel.

The guys from MM0CUG kindly took down the scaffold pole for me and moved my antenna to the new mast all within a day.   I still need to do a little tidying up regards cable routing etc ... but overall a stress free project.

Below is a few pictures taken on the day again from the luxury of my living room.

The initial hole cut in the decking
Digging a hole
Mast stub concreted and mast inserted
Getting ready to attach the rotator and antenna's
The new mast in the lowered position.

The mast extended.






No comments:

Post a Comment