Thursday 24 May 2018

Anglian 3L 2m Transverter from G4DDK - Part 3

Finally ready to try driving the Anglian from the rig I needed to connect it up.   Originally I was going to use the Kuhne transverter interface for the IC7300 but after some consideration decided to actually use a combiner along with a 20dB 30W attenuator though there is obviously a loss incurred in the RX path switching between the Anglian and Iceni will however be easier.

I bought the attenuator from eBay from for the bargain price of £25 these things are now cheap as chips from China and when I tested the unit with a VNA gave 20dB of attenuation at 50ohms from 1MHz to 600MHz which is as far as I bothered but the device will apparently work up to 3GHz but I couldn't vouch for that.

The combiner is a Merrimac 2 way 0 deg inductive unit from rf-microwave.com which cost just over £40 pounds which is cheaper than the mini-circuits equivalent unit and more than up to the job.

Merrimac combiner with 20dB 30W attenuator
With my Yaesu FT991 set to give 40dBm of drive which  will provide 20dBm to the Anglian once passed through the attenuator I measured and output as 39dBm so some additional attenuation is required between the Anglian and the PA.

With an extra 16dB of attenuation placed between the Anglian and the PA I measured just under 37dBm out which is good enough to drive my little Microset SR100 amplifier.   

I couldn't measure the 2nd and 3rd harmonic product with my equipment but I did a quick check with my SDR and I couldn't see anything on the SDR# waterfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment