The station setup has evolved greatly on the past 12 months and so I thought I'd share the evolution and how it performed.
In 2017 I started the year with a Yaesu FT991 with a single 9 element 2m LFA and 13 element 70cm LFA from G0KSC, my maximum output power was 50W.
|2m Squares 2017|
|70cm Squares 2017|
In 2018 the station evolved from the FT991 to using homebrew transverters the rather fine 2m Anglian 3L and 70cm Iceni units from G4DDK. I swapped to an Icom IC7300 for the exciter.
The 2m system started the year with a Microset SR100 100W linear and ended the year with the mighty fine Gemini 2-500 500W linear from the dxshop.
I actually had the amplifier and running before I got around to updating the 2m antenna system not because this is the right way but down to the fact taking an amplifier out of the packaging is a lot easier than updating the antennas.
I then changed the 2m antenna system from the single 9 element KSC to a stack of 2 x 9 element G4CQM's from Powabeam.
It took me awhile to get the new CQM's built as I bought them as kits from Powabeam which meant I need to cut the elements and construct the driven element. I got the new system up and running at the beginning of September and it worked like a dream right up until it rained hard when the VSWR suddenly went to infinity so that put paid to any 2m work for September.
|2m Squares worked from JO01 2018|
You can see from above a slight improvement in performance this year and I think I managed to miss just about every opening typical! Anyway I still managed to work 86 squares and good improvement over the 56 from the year before.
|70cm Squares worked from JO01 2018|
Fingers crossed 2019 will be even better and I'm actually near the shack during any opening but we'll have to wait and see.